Diocesan Ordinary/Diocesan Bishop
Every diocese is entrusted to the care of a Bishop who has all the ordinary, proper and immediate power required for the exercise of his pastoral office. The Bishop is therefore the head of the diocese. The Bishop of the Diocese of Wiawso is called Most Rev. Joseph Francis Kweku Essien.
A Vicar General assists the Bishop in the governance of the whole diocese. He is appointed by the Bishop and can perform all administrative acts except those which the Bishop has reserved to himself, or which by law requires a special mandate of the Bishop. The Diocese has one Vicar General. He is called Monsignor Simon Assamoah. He was born on 18th May, 1954. He was ordained on 24th July, 1983. He was appointed as a Vicar General on 1st October, 2000. The title of Monsignor was conferred on him on 7th June 2008 by Pope Benedict XVI in recognition of his hard work, fidelity and dedication to the church.
Pastoral and Administrative Commissions and Offices
The Curia assists the Bishop in governing the entire diocese, especially in directing pastoral action, in providing for the administration of the diocese, and in exercising judicial power. The curia is composed as follows:
- The Bishop, Most Rev. Joseph Francis Kweku Essien.
- The Vicar General, Monsignor Simon Assamoah.
- The Chancellor, Rev. Fr. Anthony Jones Mensah
- The Financial Administrator, Rev. Fr. Dominic Jewel Ackah.
THE COUNCIL OF PRIESTS/ PRESBYTERIAL COUNCIL
The council of priests, who constitutes “the Bishop’s senate”, is a group of priests who represent the presbyterium. They assist the Bishop in the governance of the diocese so that the pastoral welfare of the faithful in diocese is effectively promoted. It is composed of fourteen (14) members with the Bishop inclusive. They are:
- Most Rev. Joseph Francis Kweku Essien.
- Monsignor Simon Assamoah
- Very Rev. Fr. Anthony Jones Mensah
- Rev. Fr. Joseph Xantippus Otoo
- Rev. Fr. Francis Amoakohene
- Rev. Fr. Dominic Jewel Ackah
- Rev. Fr. Peter Twumasi
- Rev. Fr. Anthony Oppong
- Rev. Fr. Francis Yaw Mensah
- Rev. Fr. George Festus Asamoah
- Rev. Fr. Joseph Asare
- Rev. Fr. Michael Asante
- Rev. Fr. Patrick Appiah Andoh
- Rev. Fr. Simon Bour Osei
THE COLLEGE OF CONSULTORS:
The College of Consultors is a consultative body whose members are appointed by the Bishop from among the members of the council of priests. Just like the presbyteral council, it is advisory group whose members assist the Bishop in the pastoral governance of the diocese. The composition is as follows:
- Most Rev. Joseph Francis Kweku Essien (Local Ordinary)
- Rev. Monsignor Simon Assamoah (Vicar General)
- Very Rev. Anthony Jones Mensah (Chancellor)
- Very Rev. Fr. Joseph Xanttippus Otoo
- Very Rev. Fr. Samuel Nkuah Boateng (Cathedral Administrator).
- Rev. Fr. Dominic Jewel Ackah (Financial Administrator).
Other Pastoral and Administrative Commissions, Committees and Offices
There are other commissions, committees and offices which assist in providing pastoral care in the diocese for God’s people. These bodies can be termed as departments. Such departments are listed below:
- Justice and Peace Commission
- Liturgical Commission
- Catechetical Commission
- Education Committee
- Health Committee
- Development Office (Caritas)
- Diocesan Finance Committee
- Social Communication Office
- Lay Apostolate Commission/ Laity Council
- The Youth Council
- The Women Council
- Pastoral Council
- Biblical Apostolate